Pattern: Grainline’s Tiny Pocket Tank

Fabric: cotton voile

Notions: none

Time to Complete: I must be the world’s slowest sewer, ’cause this simple pattern probably took me about 10 hours all together!

Notes: I’ve called this the Moroccan Tile Tank because I thought the print was reminiscent of them, don’t you agree? I don’t often chose prints when purchasing ready to wear, but I’m quite drawn to sewing with them. I love finding print fabrics that suit my style and the challenge of matching them to suitable patterns. There’s nothing like a good print to spice up an otherwise uneventful outfit!

This is the third time I’ve made up this charming basic pattern. (I’ve also made a dress out of it, which I’ll have to post about soon!) This time out I used Jen’s tutorial to widen the back of the tank, creating a softer, more flowing silhouette. (We didn’t quite capture the result in this photo, but trust, it’s there!) I really like the results of this simple alteration, especially in this fabric.

I’m not as happy as I could be with the finishing on this tank. I used French seams on the shoulder and side seams, which worked well. Then I made some self-bias tape to finish the neck and armholes. It’s a reasonably clean finish (though I’m still perfecting the technique), but man, it is ever fussy! It takes me soooo much time to pin everything in place and get it right. I’d like to experiment with facings in future.